- David Cox sent me some more information from the Gove tournament where he fished with the team that came second in the billfish section with 6 sailfish and one marlin. David said that conditions were perfect this year–under 5 knots and glassy seas–which is great as most anglers fish in trailer boats under 7m. The average size during the comp for sails was 15-30kg and 20-120kg range for blacks. David confirms the reports of marlin jumping into boats. You can see the first on on YouTube here. And he also sent a video from the winning team 4Play (3 blacks and 1 sailfish). During the comp, for the second time this year, they put 4 PSAT tags into 3 sails and 1 black marlin with help from CSIRO. Earlier this year in February club members put 5 PSAT tags in 5 sailfish and should have the report of the data gathered from those fish next year. Above is a photo of the marlin Dave’s team tagged, caught by Barry Pickering a sponsor of the tournament who caught his first sailfish and black marlin during the comp. Thanks for all the info David!
- More reports from boats heading south from the season. Spartacus, which will be spending time on the Gold Coast this summer, caught a blue south of Lady Musgrave and dropped another half way down Fraser. A few fish reports from the coast itself: Michael Russell fished from the Gold Coast on Sunday and released a blue on the edge. And Honey Badger‘s Capt. Brent James had a 60kg black up first thing off the water tower on Saturday.
- For those who are not subscribers, you can see last weeks newsletter here.
- And, if you are on Facebook, you’ll know that I’ve started a “Photo A Day” project. 365 days of marlin photos, one per day. I’ll bring those across to the blog every couple of weeks so look out for that after Christmas.
- Lastly, all the best for the holiday season to everyone!
Previous ReportBlacks Blacks Blacks