Scroll Top

GC Blues Report


This post was imported into WordPress from my old Black Marlin Fishing Blog website without any accompanying photos. If you’d like to see the original post, with the accompanying photographs, go to the original Black Marlin Fishing Blog site and navigate to the post using the archive navigation links on the right-hand-side.

Simon brings a Blue alongside to remove the lure hook while another ready to switch at the teaser. Update: After hearing reports of multiple Blue Marlin bites over the past couple of weeks we were very keen to get in on that action. And, after a quick phone call to Kekoa regular Steve, we were on for a weekend on the shelf! Steve flew up to join us Friday evening and it was early to bed for an even earlier start on Saturday. Venturing through the seaway in the still dark, the sun came up on the trip out to help guide us to where we were headed – it was a glamour day on the water. Barely had we set the pattern when we had our first bite and quickly released our first Blue for the day off Point Lookout. This set the trend for the rest of the day – or at least until lunch when the bite slowed down significantly. On Day 1, we had raised a total of 14 fish for 9 bites and 4 tags. To answer you Rob – we switched three of the four, barely clear of the transom, and jumped off another after a spectacular bite from an over-excited 300lb-er. Saving us the long run back to the Gold Coast for the night, Capt. Luke guided us safely through South Passage Bar to anchor at Amity Point on the northern end of North Stradbroke. On Sunday, anticipating another early bite, we once again rose in the dark and found ourselves in the strike-zone just on 7am. Unfortunately the fish were onto us and the early bite wasn’t to be repeated. Venturing a bit further south and closer to home in preparation for the Southerly change we once again found fish just north of Jim’s Mountain. Both fish were raised on the lures and we released another excited line burner just as the wind started to kick in. Our only Blue for Day 2 as we decided to head home. As the wind came up – Deputy Capt. Simon mentioned that this was the perfect weather for Yellowfin Tuna. And lo and behold it really was! After an explosion on the left, Steve boated a nice 70lb-er – enough for sushi and more. Simon removes the hook from a Blue alongside while the boys brace the tuna and themselves in the weather for a quick photo.

Related Posts