Scroll Top

Gold Coast Heavy Tackle Cabo Classic UPDATED


This post was imported into WordPress from my old Black Marlin Fishing Blog website without any accompanying photos. If you’d like to see the original post, with the accompanying photographs, go to the original Black Marlin Fishing Blog site and navigate to the post using the archive navigation links on the right-hand-side.

Brendan’s Blue Marlin on Day 2. Although we also caught just the two Blue Marlin for the weekend, there was quite a bit of excitement – full brief of which I will have to update you with later today when there is more time. In the meantime some pics and final standings. First place with four Blue Marlin was the the team on board Rocky who came home swinging () with three of their fish in the last hour and a half. Second was Amy D (two and field goals), third Graham’s new charge Cabo 43 (two and field goals) and fourth Fascination, one (Black Marlin) and a field goal. Update (More photos added): The Gold Coast GFC Heavy Tackle Tournament has been renamed the Cabo Classic for the next three years at least with Cabo Yatchs coming on board as major sponsor. The big news being that Graham McCoy, who we all know from fishing alongside Inkwazi, is now the Australian dealer for Cabo and has taken the helm of Cabo 43 (which we saw going backwards real fast a couple of times alongside us on Sunday!) This is good news and we wish him congrats and good luck with it all.So the Cabo Classic got under way on Saturday with 32 boats fishing. Saturday still had a bit of wind in it from the past three weeks and the fishing was relatively slow with just (we believe) the six marlin released.Although tag points were being awarded for other species (Mahi Mahi, Yellowfin and Wahoo) we snagged a Dolphin Fish early that was filleted and put on ice for dinner instead. At just before lunch on board Kekoa we had our first and only Blue up for the day with a quick bite on the teaser before it dropped back to eat the short rigger. Brendan showed his speed on the deck getting to the rod first as we released the fish a short 10 minutes later. Brendan’s Blue on Day one and a picture to end Moose’s confusion. Hee hee. Day two dawned with the weather we had been hoping to see. After a sailpast through the seaway, we headed back to our spot off Point Lookout and ran straight into a huge school of Dolphin fish with a few Wahoo thrown in for good measure. At one stage we had 6 Dolphin Fish lit up swimming under the teaser as Rick brought another in followed shortly after by a Wahoo. It was not too long after that Capt. Luke spotted a Blue on the right teaser and as Brendan dropped the pitch bait back to it, another one on the left teaser as well. The Blue followed the teaser all the way up to the boat before a classic bite on the pitch bait right at the transom. On the first jump we realized that this was a bigger fish and Brendan was in for a nice fight on the 50lb stand up.Nearly two hours later, we had a tag in. The fish had put up a gallant fight but was not doing well so Capt. Luke make the decision to pull it on board. It weighed in at 440lbs – a great fish for Brendan on 50lb stand up.Rocky had a fantastic afternoon tagging three Blues after lunch to secure their win with a total of four Blue Marlin to be outright winners. With radio problems for much of the weekend, it was only on the last sked that the report came in – fortunately one of their prizes included an electronics package! Congrats guys!Kekoa headed out again Monday – but given I’m already a day slow with reports, will get that one out to you tomorrow. The fish jumps away from Rick on the leader and is brought to the weighstation from Kekoa.

Related Posts