Scroll Top

Follow Up (Updated)


This post was imported into WordPress from my old Black Marlin Fishing Blog website without any accompanying photos. If you’d like to see the original post, with the accompanying photographs, go to the original Black Marlin Fishing Blog site and navigate to the post using the archive navigation links on the right-hand-side.

Following up from a big fish day on Linden Bank Saturday, Capt. Luke on KEKOA was keen to get amongst the action. And he did going three from three by 2 o’clock. The mack tunas were thick at the opening to Opal Reef as Capt. Luke headed out from the anchorage and made perfect marlin candy for all three marlin estimated at 150, 200 and 300lbs. Nearby Capt. Tim Dean on Calypso went one from one estimated at 400lbs and Hot Shot released a small one as well.Meanwhile, Capt. Troy on Cool Runnings decided to leave the bank and push north finding almost instant success, again for 18 year old angler Jye Clayden with another big fish estimated at 750lb (and Jye’s 77th marlin). Photo: Left, a video still of Lydie’s fish on Tradition. Right, Nathan’s fish on Reel Chase. Back up at the top, Tradition, still chasing the 50lb record for Lydie had five bites, connected with three and tagged this one (left) estimated at 400lb at the top of Number 10 Ribbon. On Reel Chase, having watched his Dad release a black marlin, 15 year old Nathan was keen to get his first. Typically, the bite came as Dave and I were busy cleaning and filleting the morning’s sportfishing catch, as we trolled lures to make some ground back to St. Crispins Reef. Unfortunately as with lures, you don’t catch them all and after a thrilling acrobatic display and hard fight by Nathan it was gone—! Capt. Bat on his trailer boat Valhalla thought his luck was in when a 700lb-er launched out of the water at the back of the boat while fishing Linden Bank on Saturday. As he waited for the inevitable snap from the rigger clip and his rods to come tight, he realized that he wasn’t using a spanish mackerel for bait. He then watched as the free feeding fish slowly swam around and engulfed the stunned mackerel.And in Townsville (updated):Nine Townsville GFC boats had a busy weekend for their Billfish Bonanza fishing the surrounds of Myrmidon Reef. Most boats were in the marlin for the weekend although unfortunately most of them were outgunned in the tackle department – leaving some interesting stories about the one that got away. The boys on Viagra lost a nice yellowfin tuna at the side of the boat to an estimated 700lb marlin who needed it more than they did. For the others, 3-4hours on a fish leading to disappointment when the lines parted. Club Junior, Jack Nicolosi who was fishing with his mum, dad a little brother aboard there boat ENVEE, hooked an estimated 700 plus black on 24kg standup. Jack fought the fish for 3 hours and although got the leader on the rod several times, they were unable to get a tag in it due to the lack of crew on board. Unfortunately in the end, Jack had to hand the rod to his dad Sam to finish off. Never-the-less it was an awesome effort and a great experience for the youngster. In total there were 17 hookups with only the one tag to the team on Burgundy Lady, estimated at 600lb on 50 (the club members are primarily light tackle fishermen).Trailer boat ELE took out the Champion Team award after accumulating points on light tackle including a 23kg wahoo and several large spaniards to 30kg. Thanks to Talina for the rest of the details!

Related Posts