We are at T-minus one month until some of you will begin your journey to Cairns for the start of the 2014 Giant Black Marlin Season. Are you excited? We all are! With good numbers of the little juvie blacks set to run right through until fishing for the big girls gets underway, there’ll be plenty of marlin action from the BLACK MARLIN capital from this point on!
Angler Richard “Rocket” Rocchi
Can you give us a brief description of your angling history?
Started fishing at 5 years old in Sydney Harbour and have never stopped. Fished Cairns from 1996 as my first visit on The Hooker and then again on Calypso from 1998 -2013 inclusive. Recently fished Kona in 2013 and 2014.
When was the last time the you fished in Cairns?
What was your best memory of any Cairns trip to date?
Highlight as been fishing with my son Jim Rocchi and Steve Norris and his son James for a number of years. But I have been fortune to fish with Chris Jolly, Steve Tomas, Jeff Rankin, Mark Ryan, Phillip McCloy, Graham McCloy, John Poole etc… and naturally Tim Dean on the Calypso. And let’s not forget all the great Deckies over the years Trent, Andy, David, Brad, Dean, Dave, and so many more I have not mention…so to sum it up the best memories are family and friends.
What are your hopes for your trip to Cairns this year?
Good wine, good food and great weather…..
When can we expect to see you here this and how long are you staying who are you fishing with?
Back in 2014 for Lizard Island on the Calypso with Capt. Tim Dean.
Tim has been fantastic and a credit to your industry and Cairns. Great skipper and person… hence why I have been coming back every year since 1998!
The Cairns season is almost upon us and it’s my job to get you all excited about that and looking forward to your daily dose of big marlin fishing reports!
For that reason I’m running a series of a 5 question interviews with anglers, skippers and crew who will be fishing the Cairns season in some way or another in 2014. Don’t forget there is still some availability (while perhaps not these exact dates still, this will give you an idea). You can contact members of the fleet directly through the BMFB Boat Directory.
View all posts in this series
- Availability: Cairns Giant Black Marlin Season 2014 - June 27, 2014
- Cairns Giant Marlin Season 2014: Interview with Capt. Tom Francis / Ultimate Lady - August 6, 2014
- Cairns Marlin Season 2014: Angler Interview, Gary Carter - August 11, 2014
- Cairns Marlin Season Angler Interviews: Greg Seel & Lydie Fayard - August 14, 2014
- Cairns Marlin Season Angler Interview: Richard “Rocket” Rocchi - August 20, 2014
- Cairns Marlin Season Angler Interview: Capt. Chip Van Mols - August 26, 2014
- Cairns Marlin Season Angler Interviews: Zac Henderson - September 1, 2014
- It’s On: First big black of season 2014 reported! - September 10, 2014